Forums » Second Life

How serious is SL to you?

• 49 posts
    May 8, 2015 4:29 PM PDT

It's a story I hear a lot. People get on SL to escape real life. But, how seriously do you take it? I've heard of people getting married through SL. I've heard of people ruining their real life just to play this game. I want to know if anyone else would ever consider taking it that far. 

Personally, I only get on for about an hour a day or so. Mostly, I just really like shopping. It helps alleviate my "i'm so poor!!" feelings.

• 9 posts
    May 8, 2015 6:39 PM PDT

Secondlife is my life. I dont have a life outside of SL and spend literally all day on it, as sad as that sounds, sometimes I do log off to catch up on tv shows i watch from my laptop, but then I'm back on it. I maintain two stores, so Im usually making new products, or hanging out with my SL family. Or exploring if I dont have funds to make any new products.

• 240 posts
    May 8, 2015 7:31 PM PDT

I agree with Suzy.  SL is much better than RL for me, I do not have very many limitations here, and the ones I do are constructive.

• May 9, 2015 2:51 AM PDT

Ms. Cari Daveney said:

It's a story I hear a lot. People get on SL to escape real life. But, how seriously do you take it? I've heard of people getting married through SL. I've heard of people ruining their real life just to play this game. I want to know if anyone else would ever consider taking it that far. 

Personally, I only get on for about an hour a day or so. Mostly, I just really like shopping. It helps alleviate my "i'm so poor!!" feelings.

No doubt there are people who "take it too far."

Just as people abuse drugs, alcohol, etc. What about guys who beat up their wives or girlfriends after their football team loses?

Anything, whether in virtual reality or real life, can be taken to such an extreme that it harms you or others.

I don't need an 'escape' from RL by going on SL any more or any less than I could use a weekend at the mall or sunbathe at the beach to "get away" from it all for a while.

As for SL, sometimes I might be on SL quite a lot in a span of a few days. Other times I might only check in to pay by rent for weeks at a time. RL takes presidence.

That said, there are no doubt people who do find comfort and solace in SL because of a poor RL situation. It could be because of loliness, physical limitiations, lack of friends or not "fitting in", illness, etc. But who are we to judge?

What I don't like is guys complaining about their RL wife and then hitting on me and/or sending me a unsolicited pics of their penis. Geez Louise! Go to marriage counseling or a divorce attorney.

This post was edited by Belinda Cifuentes at May 9, 2015 2:54 AM PDT
    • 9 posts
    May 9, 2015 12:20 PM PDT

*applauds Belinda's response* 

• 49 posts
    May 10, 2015 2:01 AM PDT

Belinda Cifuentes said:

What I don't like is guys complaining about their RL wife and then hitting on me and/or sending me a unsolicited pics of their penis. Geez Louise! Go to marriage counseling or a divorce attorney.

Yes. All the yes. 

• 1102 posts
    May 12, 2015 1:47 AM PDT

Ive often been asked this question while I am online, I used to be super addicted way past the point of reasonableness to my RL friends and family, and it began to affect me in dreadful ways both at home and at work. It took some careful help from my family and friends to help me stop and re connect with reality. I sometimes think there should be an Inworld counselling service, as often you cannot discuss SL relationship issues easily in the real world, without risking upset to close family and the possible destruction of marriages. I speak from bitter experience :(

• 600 posts
    May 12, 2015 9:22 PM PDT

Yes for those who are not familiar with the way virtual worlds work, they have a completely naive view and you try to explain to them and they think you're living in a silly fantasy.
    Oh my goodness Belinda yes, yes and yes about the unsolicited pickups from people who are married. This includes married women too.
    I don't want them to hide that they're married as you get the nasty surprise later of finding out but, neither do I want someone to come straight out and say they're married and see nothing wrong with messing about on their partner even if it is just within a virtual environment. I know that marriage issues are not black and white but no matter what justification or story you are going to give me, regardless you are still being completely unfair to your partner and your marriage, not to mention unfair on the person you expect to mess around with you. If you're unhappy in your rl relationship, I can tell you this now that jumping into a virtual world where so many morals are lax and anything goes, you're not going to find out many positive things about yourself. If you're unhappy in your relationship then FIND a way to change that! By that I don't mean putting a bandaid on it ie finding someone in sl that gives you the things that are missing, whilst still continuing on with the relationship rl.  Easy to say I know but how many people in the face of adversity and trying circumstances STILL manage to find the answers! We underestimate ourselves if we think we can't find the true happiness we seek and not at the expense of others.
    My goodness I had no idea I'd be in such a rant mood today lol. Apologies if I've offended anyone with my strong opinion. I've just seen time and again people hurt and effected by the unthinking decisions of others, myself included.
    Realising I've strayed completely away from the original question...How serious is SL to you? Well I only logon for the enjoyment of chatting to people, shopping, creating etc. I had my time of being hooked to it longer then I should but then that passed. You see my strong feelings above on how SL can affect people so as a rule I don't take relationships too seriously on there and by that I mean I won't lead someone on. I'll try not to mislead. I'll just be myself, as I am aware that these are real people.
    Again apologies for the strong opinion!! :)

• May 15, 2015 11:43 AM PDT

Couldn't agree with you more Callie. 

• May 16, 2015 7:26 AM PDT

Jewel Silverstar said:

Couldn't agree with you more Callie. 

Second that.

• 6 posts
    May 21, 2015 10:56 AM PDT

I have an SL family. 1 member I have known for over 10 years. In and out of SL. That said, I still have a life and family outside of sl too. RL will always come first, but I always find time for both.

• 165 posts
    May 23, 2015 10:18 AM PDT

If I'll ever be married in SL, I'll not consider it as a serious matter as a rl marriage, but I'll still consider it as an important and respectable engagement act nonetheless.

• 2 posts
    May 29, 2015 6:32 PM PDT

SL is my great escape from reality.  Trust me you don't really want to be part of my real life

• 49 posts
    May 29, 2015 9:06 PM PDT

i think it's important to be able to put down the keyboard. i'm extremely happy with my real life. i'm married, i have a beautiful baby boy and i have a girlfriend who is pregnant (we're a poly family). i really only use SL as a means to generate extra income when possible and to buy things. but i remember when i first played in SL. i was very depressed after a really horrible break up. it was nice to just become someone else for a little while. my avatar was perfect. he didn't have to worry with the problems i did. i'm also genderfluid, but i just don't have a means to express myself. as such, having an avatar who could be a male one day and a female the next was really wonderful.

i do agree there should be support groups. i think there are, really. they're just hard to find or are attached to religious groups. if someone opened a therapy group in world, would anyone join?

• 1 posts
    June 5, 2015 6:01 AM PDT

My RL is crazy! I have been totally hooked on Sl when i first joined. Over the years it has changed for me. I now have met a few nice people and i have found love that has bein brought to Real*. I consider my Av in Sl apart of me as i do act and talk the same in sl as i do in Rl. Only one differnt i am NOT 6 and a half feet tall!!   Hehe..