Forums » Second Life

Do you remember?

• 123 posts
    November 9, 2013 10:08 PM PST

Do you remember what your first time in SL was like? Did you have any friends, did you know anyone or how to do anything?

I've only been on Second Life for two months now but I do feel like I've came a far way. When I first joined I didn't know anyone or how to do anything so I didn't log back on for another week. When that week past by I started going on SL more not really doing anything to be honest. Haha. I still didn't know anyone so I would log on and spend hours staring at pretty clothes and trying to figure out how to do things. I definitely read a lot about SL once I joined and about the different things it offers. After another week or two I got a small gist of things. I like to thing I progressed faster then most since most of the friends I eventually made seem surprised since I had a pretty decent avatar. (Spent 5$ dollars to get rid of the ugly starter avatar skin and buy pretty hair and clothes. Lol) Even though I think I've adapted pretty well I do know there are some things in SL I still don't know about and am thankful for all those SL blogs that help spread the word.

• 47 posts
    November 10, 2013 5:24 PM PST

I first joined in the autumn of 2006. I'd heard some stories in the news about this virtual world where people could get up to anything imaginable, so I signed up to take a look for myself...

I'll be honest, for a long while, I had no idea even how to leave the Beginners' island, and my computer sucked, so for a few months I was convinced the place sucked, too, but then I upgraded a little and was finally able to begin exploring.

What I found blew my mind! I practically gave up sleeping for a while, just to spend more time inworld. I made friends, started a business, made stuff for my own amusement...had a great time, all told.

There's been some RL hiccups - bad health, losing my job - that have taken me away for a while over the years, but I'm still here...on my second avatar and my seventh year and it doesn't look like I'm going away again anytime soon!

• 6 posts
    November 12, 2013 2:00 AM PST

I actually joined Second Life for a media assignment. We had to pick an online game/social network to write about and a friend of mine suggested to do the assignment on SL! After I had finished the assignment, I found myself logging on and just exploring different areas. A really nice person IM'd me and helped me get used to all the settings such as how to edit my shape and how to spend my Lindens on the Marketplace! An hour a day became 2 hours and then 3 hours which meant more friends and more experiences!

• 61 posts
    November 13, 2013 7:45 PM PST

I'll never forget the day I accidentally stumbled on SL! When I first rezzed,I wandered around, walked in and out of peoples homes willy nilly, and just did all the typical noob things...lol! It was absolutely AMAZING to me. I recruited my RL best friend since 3rd grade, we became sisters in SL for many years. We had a group of very tight friends, loves that broke or hearts, broke a few ourselves! Most of the old group has moved on, one passed away. I'm still around, though. I love SL and all of it's possibilities!

• 39 posts
    November 15, 2013 7:11 AM PST

I remember meeting a super HOT Aussie guy the first place I got tp'd to out of Welcome island or whatever. He was super nice and helped me out. I met another guy at  a beach and he bought me a new skin. I guess I looked pretty bad back then LOL

Then I got frustrated and took a break or two. But I finally came back, and I really enjoy it. It's a nice place to relax and make a little Linden :)

• 7 posts
    November 18, 2013 6:18 AM PST

My first time in SL was really confusing but after few weeks of running around with my head chopped off i got organized and started earning money by end of the first week i made my first hundred :D I also did a lot of clubbing but today i am nore cautious to what i do now since there is a lot i wont tell

• 28 posts
    November 22, 2013 7:10 PM PST

A friend of mine brought me on. I quit for about two years then came back. 

I used to get so tired of people telling me how I could look better. I was happy when it stopped. I felt like I had finally figured it out.

• 123 posts
    November 23, 2013 12:01 AM PST

Raven, totally understand who you feel when people are telling you you could look better. I had that same problem when I first joined. My first friend on SL didn't like my shape and was constantly pointing out what was wrong with it. I kept telling her that I would fix and she was like your better off getting a shape someone else made. I tried it and really hated because, not going to lie, it was a really ugly shape. I said the face was really weird but she said it was better then the shape I had. Needless to say I stopped talking to her and unfriended her. I like the shapes I make, I don't care if they're realistic or not or fit the "standard sizing". 

• 47 posts
    November 23, 2013 2:15 AM PST

Oh, I remember when I first signed in, almost the first person I met just handed me a free shape and skin! To be honest, I was grateful, as I had no access to money with which to buy anything decent, and back then there wasn't the wealth of free shapes and skins that you find these days.

A couple of years later, I met an obsessive shape meddler who would insist on spending hours with me in edit mode, tweaking this and adjusting that....the net result was a face and body that neither of us liked, so he bought me the same shape, skin, makeup and tattoos as his ex! Yeah, not creepy much! That was when I knew it was time to block and move on...

Now, I have my own highly modded shape. I recently found a freebie shape with a really lovely face, but a horrible body, so I wrote down the numbers for the nice face and manually adjusted it onto my nice body. I'm very happy with the result!

• 39 posts
    November 23, 2013 3:12 AM PST

I guess I tweaked a shape I had bought or something. I cannot remember.  But I bought my skin and adore it.

• 28 posts
    November 23, 2013 11:54 AM PST

I don't blame people for pointing out how bad I looked, but it got a bit depressing. I have to admit that I did look pretty bad. I didn't know any better and didn't want to spend money. Though now I just want to scream "no no no" when I see someone wearing those pointed blingy shoes.

The first time I joined there wasn't anything but system hair. The second time a few years later there had been some advances but I still was pretty scary looking:

" alt="">

• 28 posts
    November 23, 2013 11:55 AM PST

Oh um. How do I post a picture? That didn't work.

• 123 posts
    November 23, 2013 12:51 PM PST

I didn't think I looked that terrible. Sure proportions were off but at least my face was much better. And Raven did you use the insert image button?

This is how I looked like: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2qtlifl&s=5#.UpEU02SXc1I

This is how my friend wanted me to look like: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16jn89h&s=5#.UpEU1mSXc1I

• 28 posts
    November 23, 2013 1:11 PM PST

You didn't look bad. 

I did.

http://tinypic.com/r/j0xk7l/5

• 47 posts
    November 23, 2013 1:14 PM PST

Viera, the actual you was more in proportion! Look how small the "ideal" shape's head is compared to the hair and body. God knows what your friend was thinking, the actual you looked just fine...and a damn sight better than my first Avi looked....ever!

• 123 posts
    November 23, 2013 6:53 PM PST

Raven, so glad I didn't know about SL then. I hate how the avatars looked back in the day.

Haha thanks Kay! Guess it shows that not all noobs are terrible with shaping.

• 61 posts
    November 24, 2013 4:24 PM PST

Viera, you mean like this?? LMAOOOO!

• 123 posts
    November 24, 2013 5:46 PM PST

Aislin Ceawlin said:

Viera, you mean like this?? LMAOOOO!

HAHAHHAHHHA YESS! Those avatar's look like they belong in the 1980's or something. 

• 61 posts
    November 24, 2013 5:53 PM PST

I refuse to comment on your comment about the '80's...because, well, that would be admitting to being there...lmao! As for my SUPER sexy, uber hot avie....ummmm, yeahhh. I truly thought I was HOT...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I still have the dress, and throw it on every once in a while for nostalgic purposes. I also remove it immediately after, lol! Oooo, the name of the dress is "Bloodlust" lol! 

ETA The skin is still out there at freebie places, I occasionally see some poor avie with it, and just shake my head...lol! I think it's called Shy Carmella

This post was edited by Aislin Ceawlin at November 24, 2013 5:55 PM PST
    • 47 posts
    November 24, 2013 6:15 PM PST

OH! I have all those eight Carmella skins! Gods but they're awful!

• 61 posts
    November 24, 2013 6:21 PM PST
    Kay Holmeforth said:

OH! I have all those eight Carmella skins! Gods but they're awful!

LMAOOOO!

• 123 posts
    November 24, 2013 7:37 PM PST

LMAOOO.  I did first start off with one of those ugly freebie skins but I swear mine wasn't that bad. I sadly don't have a picture of it anymore and now its lost somewhere in my inventory. And as soon as I was able to afford a better one I bought it.   Btw Aislin, what year was that picture take in?

If only as a newbie I knew about skin shops having free skin gifts sometimes.

This post was edited by Nausica Milthorpe at November 24, 2013 7:37 PM PST
    • 61 posts
    November 24, 2013 8:51 PM PST

That would have been 2007, not quite the dark age, but close...lol!

• 39 posts
    November 24, 2013 10:15 PM PST

Wow people. Just...wow.

• 782 posts
    November 29, 2013 4:10 AM PST

I signed up almost yr and half ago and was pretty lucky when i started. I remember with minutes of logging in I had a real estate agent offer for me to have a house rent free for 3 weeks. Of course me being a noob i had no idea about it lol so pretty much the whole time the house was empty...cept when someone rezzed a bed and sun lounger for me hehe....but rezzing for myself O.O what's that :P I was really lucky actually. I had no money to spend so fair lot of my outfits in the beginning were horrible freebie stuff but as far as my skin and shape I managed to snag a decent one within a week of starting. Someone bought me one. I haven't changed it since..I love it, just feels like me. SO glad I had lots of ppl willing to help me out with setting up and learning sl...I know how annoying noobs can be so i was grateful. Here's me at 9 days old, top looks so painted on lol and hair there is no definition in the strands haha but i used it for quite some time.Vent at 9 days old