Forums » Second Life

Do your RL family and friends know...?

• 39 posts
    November 18, 2013 3:20 PM PST

I am curious - do your RL family and friends know about SL and the time you spend there? I know that mine do not have a clue. I personally find that liberating because I can do whatever I please without judgement. Do you know people from your RL in SL? Is it weird?

• 123 posts
    November 18, 2013 9:00 PM PST

The only people in my RL that know I actively play SL are my best friend and my sister and her boyfriend. My best friend knows because I got her to join and she's a huge SIMS franchise fan. My sister only knows because I had to use her credit card a few times to put some RL money into SL. My sister's boyfriend just found out about it because he gave me a ride a few days ago and we were talking about video games and I brought up SL and am trying to get him to join. My sister refuses to let him. Haha

• 39 posts
    November 19, 2013 6:10 AM PST

So your RL best friend is in SL? That is pretty awesome! That's hilarious that your sister won't let her boyfriend join. I definitely do not blame her though LOL

• 123 posts
    November 19, 2013 8:14 AM PST

Yes but she's hardly ever on. Lol. Sims is easier for her to play since SL takes up a lot of CPU on her computer. I think it's funny as well cause her bf tells me stories about how he's trying to sign up when she's not around. 

• 61 posts
    November 19, 2013 11:41 PM PST

My immediate family know about SL, and are good with it. As I posted in another thread, my RL best friend who moved from Michigan to Texas many moons ago used to be inworld with me all the time. We are sisters in SL, but she rarely comes in anymore due to her new involvement with WOW. Several of my old SL friends no longer come inworld, but are my RL friends now! 

• 39 posts
    November 20, 2013 4:31 AM PST

That's great that you guys are able to tell people about SL. I really do not think my family would understand at all.

• 5 posts
    November 21, 2013 7:47 PM PST
    My household family knows, and they are very judgemental. So I don't tell many other people
    • 2 posts
    November 23, 2013 4:33 AM PST

Nobody knows, they simply wouldn't care, "Oh, is that WoW or something?".

• 39 posts
    November 23, 2013 8:31 AM PST

Soleil - mine do not know because they would be very judgemental.

• 34 posts
    November 24, 2013 9:32 PM PST
    My RL knows that I play SL & they also know what I do in SL too.

I met my husband on SL & we have been married for 2 yrs but been together in RL since 2009 & we have 2 yr old boy :).
    • 39 posts
    November 24, 2013 9:51 PM PST

Wow Envy!! That's so cool.

• 34 posts
    November 24, 2013 10:46 PM PST
    Lily Jolifaunt said:

Wow Envy!! That's so cool.

Thank you :-). We both are vampires, dancers & the adult nature area (won't post the word)
    • 123 posts
    November 24, 2013 10:51 PM PST

Yah Envy! Kudos to your for finding your soulmate on Second Life. I never would have thought that to happen.

• 8 posts
    November 27, 2013 5:16 PM PST

Nobody in my RL is aware that I'm on SL so much. LOL

• 782 posts
    November 27, 2013 8:49 PM PST

Yeah my family know I play SL and used to worry over how much time I spent on there...now though i've cut back. Having said that they have no idea what i do on sl and how I act. I dont encourage anyone I know to come play it because I'm like Lily in that I like being able to be free to truly do what i want on there and act how i like because I'm alot more anonymous. Whilst if family or friends came on I'd act differently in world...less adventurous. Hard to explain...so yes and no as to how much they know and how involved lols.

This post was edited by Venturis ḸÖçø at November 27, 2013 8:49 PM PST
    • 61 posts
    November 28, 2013 1:52 AM PST
    Venturis Gal said:

Yeah my family know I play SL and used to worry over how much time I spent on there...now though i've cut back. Having said that they have no idea what i do on sl and how I act. I dont encourage anyone I know to come play it because I'm like Lily in that I like being able to be free to truly do what i want on there and act how i like because I'm alot more anonymous. Whilst if family or friends came on I'd act differently in world...less adventurous. Hard to explain...so yes and no as to how much they know and how involved lols.

I understand what you mean. The only RL friend I ever invited in was my RL best friend. We've been best friends since 3rd grade, and we're now (okay folks....here it is...lol) 46 years old. So, she knows all my sides, like I know hers. Both dark and light, so I never felt constrained by her presence, or vice versa. We are sisters of the heart in RL and sisters in SL. 

Edited to add... I've been married in SL twice, pregnant once with number 2. It was an emotional thing for us...if you read my response on the Romance SL style thread you might understand why. Some might find it odd, but I enjoyed it immensly. 

This post was edited by Aislin Ceawlin at November 28, 2013 1:57 AM PST
    • 39 posts
    November 28, 2013 2:13 AM PST

Aislin, that's awesome that you have a RL friend in SL. I wish I had someone I could be that open with.

• 145 posts
    November 30, 2013 7:55 PM PST

They know, and they think that I am crazy :/ and only one friend knows, she came to SL but she did not stay, but I met 2 people in sl, which became my best friends, and I see them in RL and we hangout in RL.

• 9 posts
    December 1, 2013 3:29 AM PST

My RL family knows. They honestly don't care. I actually got my roommate's son wanting to join, but I told him he has two more years til he can. (He's 11 years old is why)
    Hell, my family knows I am a Furry as well and that I really didn't get into the fandom til i was on SL where I could create my fursona. I might suck at art, but building in a 3D medium, I seem to got a knack for. XD

Most of my RL friends know too, mainly because they tend to tune in when I am DJing in world. *laughs* But then, i had been djing for years before I even found SL.

• December 1, 2013 5:10 PM PST

My daughter got my hubby and I into SL. My other family hasnt a clue, nore do my friends I like that. I like to have it as my private world where I can be whoever I want to be.I figure every one needs there own space...

• December 1, 2013 11:56 PM PST

Showed SL to my friends once, they just said something like "don't you have anything better to spend your time on?".

• 39 posts
    December 2, 2013 12:25 AM PST

People are really judgemental about SL. That's exactly why I don't tell anyone LOL

• 123 posts
    December 2, 2013 12:30 AM PST
    Lily Jolifaunt said:

People are really judgemental about SL. That's exactly why I don't tell anyone LOL

They really are! My sister was asking me what I wanted for Christmas and my birthday and I was like I just want money so I can put it into SL. She's like OMG you are too into the game. 

• 8 posts
    December 9, 2013 5:21 AM PST

Yep my Dad knows but only because I have three people here that mean the world to me & an illness that could if the worst happens mean i'm not around, I would want them to know. I don't think he understands SL at all, he definitely wouldn't get it that I have done things such as pregnancy here & that I have a Brother, Sister & Ma but he knows what he needs to know & i'm sure if he ever did login he'd love it!

• 285 posts
    December 11, 2013 3:39 PM PST

I used to have my cousin and friends on IMVU, but they got tired of it. I tried to drag them to SL with me, but they didn't like it much. It's not as much weird as it is fun. I wish more people I knew did get online.

This post was edited by Aimy Rayna at January 26, 2014 7:15 PM PST